Friday, May 3, 2013

30 Minute Vegan (taste of east) Seitan and Broccoli

Thanks for the massage!

At my chiropractor's office there is a massage therapist who loves to talk vegan to me.  I normally leave adjusted, relaxed and HUNGRY.  She has been telling me for months now that I "have to have to have to try 30 Minute Vegan Taste of the East" .  I, a few times, checked it out on amazon and read the reviews and passed.  After my last chiropractic adventure I left drooling once again and said fine that's it I will spend the $13 dollars and try it.  What the heck- I need some fast meals and I LOVE ethnic foods anything in the realm of Indian, Thai or Japanese especially.

Side note:  Ed Robertson you put a huge dent in your opportunity to be my second husband someday (yes, I'm still happily married) when you tweeted that you "don't like ethnic foods".  I'm not sure it's something we can work out.  

So anyway, the book arrived the other day and I as usual had a hankering still lingering from my conversation during my massage so I jumped right in.  I selected 3 recipes to try right away:  The Shitake Udon on p 165, Madras Curry on p 25, and the Seitan & Broccoli on p 125.  After my quick jaunt to the stores- the decision was made for me.  It was too late to marinate my shitake mushrooms, and I hadn't found the coriander seeds for the Madras Curry.

I would have loved to try it with their suggested Szechuan Green Beans but the nasty looking options or what was at one time green beans at the store couldn't have been improved with any recipe so I just made the Seitan and Broccoli with brown rice.  I will admit to making one minor change- the amount of red pepper flakes I actually used half of the lowest suggested amount- if it were me and my husband eating alone I'd happily throw the whole amount in but with my 2 little ones and their ad-version to heat in a dish it wasn't going to be worth the issues at dinner to use the full amount.  

The darn kids apparently take after Ed  :wink::

The bottom line for this recipe is so far I'm very happy I broke down and purchased this book.  The recipe was simple to follow, the ingredients were easy to find- most of which were normal household staples for us, the prep time was easily under 5 minutes and the total cook time was definitely under 30 though the next recipe I plan to time myself for the added information.  The recipe is high in protein, low in calories, and great in vitamins, the only real negative for me is the sodium content which with my Organic Tamari is always going to be an issue.    I can see how the right amount of red pepper flakes would have given it that extra bump toward deliciousness so as long as you aren't feeding anti-spice Canadian indie rock stars, or small children I'd say stick with the recipe. I did take the one variation suggestion and add roasted cashews.  MMMMMMM.  If I were to change anything at all I would do more broccoli- but we're broccoli fiends and if I were to make it with rice again I'd double the sauce so that I'd have more to drizzle over it.  

+1for 30 minute vegan  Seitan and Broccoli was a yes for the whole family.

Nutrition Facts

Seitan And Broccoli- 30 min Vegan
  4 Servings
Amount Per Serving
  Calories273.9
  Total Fat16.4 g
     Saturated Fat1.0 g
     Polyunsaturated Fat3.0 g
     Monounsaturated Fat2.7 g
  Cholesterol0.1 mg
  Sodium1,036.9 mg
  Potassium337.2 mg
  Total Carbohydrate13.4 g
     Dietary Fiber3.9 g
     Sugars1.5 g
  Protein19.9 g
  Vitamin A26.4 %
  Vitamin B-120.0 %
  Vitamin B-615.0 %
  Vitamin C178.8 %
  Vitamin D0.0 %
  Vitamin E10.3 %
  Calcium4.5 %
  Copper3.4 %
  Folate14.5 %
  Iron9.1 %
  Magnesium6.0 %
  Manganese14.2 %
  Niacin4.5 %
  Pantothenic Acid    6.0 %
  Phosphorus    7.1 %
  Riboflavin7.4 %
  Selenium3.8 %
  Thiamin5.6 %
  Zinc3.2 %


*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment